Rajiv Gandhi Assassination Convict Santhan Dies Due to Cardiac Arrest

Santhan. Image Credit: X
Santhan. Image Credit: X

One of the freed convicts of the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, Santhan alias T Suthendiraraja (55), has died due to cardiac arrest in Chennai Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital. After 30 years of being in jail, he was unable to go back to Sri Lanka and died in Tamil Nadu.

Sri Lankan Tamil Santhan was sentenced to death as he was convicted of the assassination case of Rajiv Gandhi, and later, it was reduced to lifetime imprisonment. All the convicts of the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case were released in 2022 by the High Court. At that time, Santhan was released.

Letter to Return to Sri Lanka

As he is a Sri Lankan Tamil, Santhan was lodged in a special camp for foreigners situated on the Trichy Central Jail campus. Santhan was lodged with Robert Payas and Jayakumar, also the convicts of Rajiv Gandhi Assassination. In this situation, while he was staying in the Trichy special camp, Santhan wrote a letter to the Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe.

In the letter he wrote to Ranil Wickremesinghe, I am a Sri Lankan Citizen who was accused of the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case. I got released from jail in November last year. Now, I am staying in a special camp on the Trichy Central Jail campus.

I have not seen my mother for the last 32 years. In her old age, I would like to live with her. As a son, I want to be helpful in her last few years. I request that you order the officials to allow me to return to Sri Lanka.

Health Conditions Affected

While his request was considered and he was in the process of returning to his motherland, Santhan's health was affected. He was admitted to Government Hospital, Trichy. Then, for further treatment, he was taken to the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital, Chennai. While he was getting treatment there, his health condition declined yesterday.

The Doctors said that Santhan has many poor health conditions like liver failure. Hence, they are giving continuous treatments to make his health condition stable.

It was reported that his flight tickets and passport verifications were being processed. In this situation, Santhan, who was undergoing treatment in Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital, has died today.

Died Today, February 28, 2024

Convicted for the assassination case of former PM Rajiv Gandhi and has been in jail for 32 years, Santhan's last wish to live in his native land died as a dream. Santhan's brother was there with him in the hospital when he died. He said that his soul left his body at the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital at 7.50 am today as his body was not responding to any treatment after a cardiac arrest at 4 am.