Politicians Comments on the Arrest of Women Who Drew Kolam Against the CAAVignesh Subbaian (Author) Published Date : Dec 30, 2019 11:51 IST
Women drawing kolam in Tamil Nadu should beware of the arrest: Five women were arrested on 29 December morning in Besant Nagar for drawing Kolam. ANI news agency confirms, police arrested three more who were along with them. Police officials said that if kolam drawing is allowed now, it will lead to massive law and order problems, and hence this arrest of eight people happened. Many leaders have condemned the arrest of women for drawing kolam in Chennai.
On Sunday 29 December at 7 AM, Gayathri, Arthi, Kalyani, Pragathi were drawing kolam in Besant Nagar. Suddenly a police van stopped before them and swiftly whisked them away to a community hall near the J5 Sastri Nagar police station in Chennai. The reason is they were writing No To NRC and No to CAA in their kolam. Three other people who were standing with them were also arrested. Only around 10 AM they were all released. But again, after a few hours, cases were booked against all the eight on charges of unlawful assembly and disobedience to a public.
Many leaders have criticized the government on the arrest of women who drew Kolam in Chennai which includes
Seeman, chief coordinator of Naam Thamizhar Katchi
- In spite of arresting criminals indulging in crimes like rapes, police are now started to arrest women for drawing kolam. The Tamil Nadu government now considers only these arrests as the best governance in India.
Kanimozhi, DMK MP
- All women should draw Kolam on December 30 with writings of NO to NRC and NO to CAA to protest against the arrest of women for drawing kolam.
MK Stalin, DMK leader
- AIADMK government's atrocities are increasing every day, and they have stooped to new lows by arresting innocent women for drawing kolam
- The arrested must be set free, and all the cases booked against them should be withdrawn.
- This government should respect human rights.
Ma Foi K Pandiarajan, Minister for Tamil language, Tamil Culture and Archeology.
- The arrest of women is not for drawing kolam but only for the sentences against CAA and NCR.
Politicians Comments on the Arrest of Women Who Drew Kolam Against the CAA